Monday, July 11, 2011

The Little Match Girl - Sketch 2

Slept over it and felt like the previous sketch was indecisive. I couldn't decide if I wanted her to look pure and innocent or wild and fearsome. So today I made up my mind and redid the sketch - I want her to be as uncorrupted as newly fallen snow. In her dying hallucination, she thinks that she's making the world a more beautiful place - and by setting the cold, uncaring city ablaze, in a twisted sense she has done just so.

For those unfamiliar with the dark tales of Hans Christian Anderson - here's a link.  Also, if the only Little Mermaid you know is the Disney version, I highly recommend seeking out the original story done by the same author.  It's a sadder tale, but in many ways all the more beautiful.

edit: ended up managing a color block-in before bed.

No comments: